Sustainable Beats is Firefly's dedicated sustainability program. We’re strongly committed to minimizing our negative environmental footprint by integrating a number of different programs throughout the festival and camping areas. Some of these initiatives include:
With the help of Green Mountain Energy Company, Firefly Music Festival is proud to be a carbon neutral festival! Emissions sources being offset include:
- Onsite Electricity
- Onsite Generators
- Artist, staff and vendor travel to and from the event
Prior to the festival, fans are offered the chance to purchase certified carbon offsets from Green Mountain Energy Company to help offset a portion of your carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions created by your travel to Firefly Music Festival. The Green Ticket offsets 440 pounds of CO2. This has the same environmental impact of not driving a car 490 miles, recycling 1,400 aluminum cans, or the amount of CO2 40 young trees can absorb in a year. All carbon offsets purchased from Green Mountain will benefit third party certified projects, which means the offsets are real, permanent, additional and verifiable.
In 2012, Firefly and its fans combined to offset over 945,100 lbs. of CO2. That’s equivalent to the amount of CO2 over 100,000 young trees can absorb in a year!
Check back post-event to see our positive environmental impact from offset activities during Firefly 2013.
Water Refill Stations
- In order to limit water bottle waste, Firefly offers free water refill stations located throughout the festival grounds. Music lovers can fill up their own empty, reusable container or truly soak up the experience by filling up their new, limited edition Firefly water bottle for purchase near the water stations.
- Firefly uses a streamlined program to process trash of three different varieties: landfill items, recyclables and biodegradable compost materials. With your help, we can substantially reduce the amount of waste Firefly sends to the landfills.
- We're also teaming up with local waste management specialists to ensure all of our waste will lay to rest in the proper sites, where it can be treated and regenerated back into the community as top soil for playgrounds and football fields, plastics that are reworked into raw products or waste that is processed and disposed of to the highest of environmental standards.
- It's a team effort that won’t be possible without you, so be sure do your part!
- For more information on how you can get involved in Sustainable Beats, please click here.
Festival goers will have the opportunity at check-out to add a little something extra to their experience. In addition to your general admission 3-day festival wristband, green pass holders will receive:
- A 2013 Firefly water bottle to be used the entire weekend at each of our water refill stations!
- A green wristband to show everyone that you are truly making a difference at Firefly! (*note- this wristband is pure swag, your general admission wristband is what allows you to get in and out of the festival), and
- A great conscience for purchasing carbon offsets and helping make Firefly a carbon-neutral festival.
You will be able to pick up your water bottle and wristband on-site when you arrive at the festival.